If you haven’t tried Skyline chili yet, get ready to be delighted. This recipe hails from Cincinnati and is loved by a lot of people. It’s a flavorful chili with its special blend of spices.
Cincinnati Chili is typically served over spaghetti noodles and topped with cheese. Another delicious way to enjoy it is by drizzling it on a hot dog.
Add heaps of grated cheddar cheese, onions, beans, and oyster crackers for a fully-loaded version, or simply enjoy the chili and cheese combo for a delicious 3-way.
Skyline Cincinnati Chili
Skyline Chili is a popular restaurant in Cincinnati known for its fantastic Midwestern chili. Cincinnati chili is a flavorful meat sauce spiced with Mediterranean spices, offering a savory taste with hints of warm spices and chocolate. It’s not as thick as southern chili, so it’s often enjoyed over noodles or hotdogs.
Cincinnati chili is similar to regular chili but gets its special touch from Mediterranean spices and chocolate. It has a distinct flavor that combines various elements into a delicious and unique bowl of chili. Besides enjoying it plain or with toppings, Cincinnati chili is often served in a special way that sets it apart.
Skyline Cincinnati Chili Ingredients
The main ingredients in Skyline Cincinnati Chili work together harmoniously to create a uniquely flavorful dish and add depth, tanginess, and sweetness to this dish resulting in a truly delightful culinary experience.
- Ground Beef: The foundation of Skyline Cincinnati Chili, ground beef brings a hearty and meaty texture. It’s typically cooked and seasoned with spices to infuse rich flavors throughout.
- Spices: The blend of Mediterranean spices is what sets Cincinnati chili apart. Cinnamon, cumin, allspice, and cloves are key players, adding depth, warmth, and a unique twist to the chili’s taste profile.
- Tomato Sauce: Tomato sauce provides a tangy and slightly sweet base for the chili. It helps balance the spices and adds a smooth consistency, ensuring each bite is flavorful.
- Cocoa Powder: A surprising ingredient, the cocoa powder adds a subtle richness and complexity to the chili. It enhances the depth of flavors without making them taste sweet.
- Worcestershire Sauce: This condiment contributes a savory and umami flavor to the chili. It adds a depth of richness and enhances the overall taste experience.
- Vinegar: Often, apple cider vinegar provides a touch of acidity, brightening the flavors and balancing the richness of the meat and spices.
- Onions: Finely chopped onions are cooked alongside the ground beef, adding a layer of sweetness and texture to the chili. They also infuse their flavor into the sauce as it simmers, enhancing the overall taste.
Tips For The Best Skyline Cincinnati Chili
Let it simmer: Allow the chili to simmer for longer to develop rich flavors and meld the spices together.
Adjust the spices: Taste and adjust the amount of spices, such as cinnamon and cumin, to suit your preference.
Don’t skimp on toppings: Load your chili with generous amounts of grated cheddar cheese, onions, beans, and oyster crackers for the full Skyline experience.
Use quality ingredients: Opt for high-quality ground beef and fresh spices to enhance the overall taste of the chili.
Experiment with serving styles: Explore different ways to enjoy Skyline Cincinnati Chili, from classic spaghetti to hot dogs or as a topping on burgers and nachos, to find your favorite combination.
Embrace the cocoa powder: Don’t be afraid to include cocoa powder in your recipe—it adds a subtle richness that elevates the flavors of the chili.
Let it rest: Allow the chili to rest for a few minutes after cooking to let the flavors intensify and the texture settles, resulting in a more enjoyable eating experience.
Different Ways To Serve Skyline Chili
When indulging in Cincinnati chili, you get to select a numbered “way” that suits your preferences. Oyster crackers are a popular accompaniment, regardless of the chosen toppings, adding a delightful crunch and texture to the dish we adore. Skyline Chili gives you several options for how you want to enjoy your chili.
- 2-Way: spaghetti topped with chili
- 3-Way: spaghetti topped with chili and a mound of shredded cheddar cheese.
- 4-Way: spaghetti topped with chili, a mound of shredded cheddar cheese, and diced onions OR beans.
- 5-Way (aka “the works”): spaghetti topped with chili, a mound of shredded cheddar cheese, diced onions, and beans.
Cincinnati Chili Coneys offer a delectable twist to the classic hot dog. Like the “ways” with chili over spaghetti, you can enjoy a coney dog topped with Cincinnati chili. These combinations are very typical.
- Bun, hot dog, chili
- Bun, hot dog, chili, cheese
- Bun, hot dog, chili, cheese, and mustard or onion
- Bun, hot dog, chili, cheese, mustard, and onion
How To Store Skyline Chili?
Refrigerate promptly: Store leftover Skyline Chili in airtight containers or sealable bags and refrigerate it as soon as possible after cooking to maintain its freshness.
Divide into portions: If you have a large batch of chili, divide it into individual portions before storing it to make reheating easier and prevent unnecessary waste.
Label and date: Clearly label the containers with the date of storage to keep track of their freshness and ensure timely consumption.
Freezing option: Skyline Chili can be frozen for longer-term storage. Place it in freezer-safe containers, leaving some space for expansion, and use it within three months for the best quality.
Thawing: When ready to use frozen chili, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight or use the defrost setting on your microwave.
Reheat thoroughly: Heat the stored Skyline Chili thoroughly on the stovetop or microwave until it reaches a safe internal temperature before serving.
Vegan Option: Replace ground beef with plant-based ground meat or crumbled tofu for a vegan-friendly variation. Use vegetable broth instead of beef broth and opt for vegan Worcestershire sauce. Adjust the spices and seasonings to taste, ensuring they are all plant-based. The result is a delicious vegan Skyline Chili that everyone can enjoy.
Slow Cooker Simplicity: Adapt the recipe for a slow cooker by browning the beef, sautéing the onions and garlic, then transferring everything to a slow cooker along with the remaining ingredients. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours for a convenient, hands-off approach to making Skyline Chili.
Spicy Twist: Amp up the heat by adding extra cayenne pepper, diced jalapeños, or a drizzle of hot sauce to give your Skyline Chili a fiery kick.
White Bean Delight: Incorporate white beans, such as cannellini or Great Northern beans, into the chili for an added creaminess and texture.
Skyline Chili Recipe
- Large pot or Dutch oven
- Spoon or spatula for stirring
- Knife for chopping
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cup beef broth
- 2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, brown the ground beef over medium-high heat, breaking it up with a spoon as it cooks. Once browned, drain any excess fat from the pot.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pot and sauté until they become translucent and fragrant.
- Stir in the beef broth, tomato sauce, tomato paste, chili powder, cocoa powder, Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, cinnamon, cumin, allspice, cloves, and cayenne pepper. Mix well to combine all the ingredients.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer the chili uncovered for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- As the chili simmers, taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and black pepper according to your preference.
- After 1 hour of simmering, the chili should have thickened, and the flavors will have melded together beautifully. Remove it from the heat and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.
Nutritional Facts (Approximate, per serving)
- Calories: 350
- Total Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Sodium: 930mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 27g
- Dietary Fiber: 6g
- Sugars: 13g
- Protein: 26g