These homemade pastries feature juicy Granny Smith apples wrapped in soft crescent roll dough. Baked in a sweet and aromatic sauce made with brown sugar, cinnamon, and the distinct flavor of Mountain Dew, these dumplings offer a unique combination of flavors and textures that will satisfy any sweet tooth.
Apple dumplings are a delicious treat, especially during fall. But I enjoy them all year round, even though they can be filling. You wouldn’t believe how amazing the combination of apples, Mountain Dew, and crescent rolls is! And when you bake these dumplings, your home will smell heavenly.
This dessert is super simple and perfect for any occasion. Add a scoop of ice cream on top, and you’ll have a delightful treat like apple pie without all the effort.
What Are Mountain Dew Apple Dumplings?
Mountain Dew Apple Dumplings are a delightful dessert made by wrapping slices of apples in crescent roll dough and baking them in a sweet, cinnamon-infused sauce made with Mountain Dew soda.
As the dumplings bake, the soda creates a unique syrup that enhances the flavor and texture of the apples. The result is a warm and comforting treat, perfect for enjoying alone or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Mountain Dew Apple Dumplings Ingredients
The following discussed ingredients work together to create a harmonious blend of flavors in Mountain Dew Apple Dumplings, resulting in a delectable dessert that’s both comforting and satisfying.
Mountain Dew: Mountain Dew is a citrus-flavored soda that adds a tangy and slightly sweet taste to the dumplings. It also creates a syrupy sauce as the dumplings bake, enhancing the overall flavor.
Crescent Roll Dough: Crescent roll dough is a premade dough in a can. It’s made from a simple flour, butter, and yeast mixture. It becomes light and flaky when baked, providing a delicious pastry-like shell for the apple filling.
Apples: Apples, preferably tart varieties like Granny Smith, are a key component of the dumplings. When baked, they add a refreshing, slightly tangy taste and a pleasant texture. The apples soften during the baking process, becoming tender and infused with the flavors of the sauce.
Butter: Butter is used to add richness and flavor to the sauce. It helps create a smooth and luscious texture, enhancing the overall taste of the dumplings.
Brown Sugar: Brown sugar contributes sweetness and depth to the sauce. It pairs well with the apples, adding a caramel-like flavor and helping to create a slightly sticky, syrupy consistency.
Cinnamon: Cinnamon is a warm and aromatic spice that complements the apples perfectly. It adds a delightful hint of spiciness and enhances the overall flavor profile of the dumplings.
Tips And Tricks To Make Tasty And Best Mountain Dew Apple Dumplings
- Use tart apples like Granny Smith for a nice balance of flavors, as they hold up well during baking and provide a pleasant tanginess.
- When wrapping the apple slices in crescent roll dough, seal the edges tightly to prevent any sauce leakage during baking.
- Adjust the amount of cinnamon and brown sugar in the sauce according to your preference for sweetness and spice.
- Add a pinch of nutmeg or a dash of vanilla extract to the sauce for an extra flavor boost.
- Experiment with different sodas for a unique twist. Try using lemon-lime sodas like Sprite or 7UP or even apple-flavored sodas for a variation in taste.
- Don’t pour the soda directly over the dumplings. Instead, pour it between the dumplings to prevent them from getting too soggy.
- Serve the dumplings immediately after baking for the best texture and taste. The warmth and freshness enhance the overall experience.
- For added crunch and flavor, consider serving the dumplings with a sprinkle of chopped nuts, such as pecans or walnuts.
What Are The Best Apples To Use For Mountain Dew Apple Dumplings?
The best apples for Mountain Dew Apple Dumplings are tart and firm varieties that hold their shape well during baking. Granny Smith apples are a popular choice due to their crispness and tangy flavor, which pairs beautifully with the sweet and tangy elements of the dish.
Other suitable options include Braeburn, Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, or Jonathan apples, which also provide a pleasant balance of sweetness and tartness. Ultimately, choose apples you enjoy and retain their texture when cooked, ensuring a delicious outcome for your dumplings.
Why Use Mountain Dew?
Mountain Dew is used in Mountain Dew Apple Dumplings for its distinct citrus flavor, which adds a refreshing and tangy element to the dish. As the dumplings bake, the soda combines with the other ingredients to create a sweet and syrupy sauce that infuses the apples and dough with delicious flavors.
However, if you wish to explore other soda options, you can try lemon-lime sodas like Sprite or 7UP as substitutes. These sodas offer a similar fizzy and citrusy profile, which can still yield tasty dumplings. Feel free to experiment and find your preferred soda flavor to customize the dish.
Recipe Variations And Add-Ons
Soda Variation: Experiment with different sodas for a unique twist. Instead of Mountain Dew, try using citrus-flavored sodas like Sprite or lemon-lime sodas like 7UP to infuse a different flavor profile into the dumplings.
Fruit Variation: While apples are the traditional choice, you can explore other fruits to create delicious variations. Try using sliced pears, peaches, or even a combination of mixed berries for a delightful fruity twist.
Nutty Delight: Before baking, sprinkle chopped nuts, such as pecans or almonds, on top of the dumplings. This adds a crunchy texture and nutty flavor that complements the sweet and tangy elements of the dish.
Caramel Drizzle: Serve the dumplings with a drizzle of warm caramel sauce for an extra layer of indulgence. The rich buttery caramel pairs wonderfully with the apples’ flavors and the sauce’s sweetness.
- Serve the warm dumplings on their own as a comforting dessert.
- Top each dumpling with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a delicious combination of warm and cold textures.
- Drizzle caramel sauce over the dumplings for an extra touch of sweetness.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top of the dumplings for an elegant presentation.
- Pair the dumplings with a dollop of whipped cream for a light and creamy accompaniment.
- Serve the dumplings alongside a cup of hot apple cider for a cozy fall-inspired treat.
How To Store And Reheat Extra Dumplings?
- Cool completely before storing in an airtight container or tightly wrapped with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for up to 2-3 days.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) for reheating.
- Place dumplings on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Reheat in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- Ensure an internal temperature of at least 165°F (74°C) before serving.
Mountain Dew Apple Dumplings Recipe
- Baking dish (13 x 9-inch)
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Knife for peeling and coring apples
- Cutting board
- Spoon or whisk for mixing the sauce
- Butter for greasing the baking dish (optional)
- Serving plates or bowls for presentation
- 2 cans (8 each) refrigerated crescent roll dough
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 1/2 cups broen sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1 can (12 oz) Mountain Dew
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Wash the apples, peel them, and cut them into eight equal slices.
- Unwrap the crescent roll dough and separate the triangles.
- Place a piece of apple on each dough triangle, starting from the wider side, and roll it up like a croissant.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Combine the butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, and vanilla extract in a separate bowl. Mix until you get a smooth liquid mixture without lumps.
- Pour the butter, sugar, and cinnamon mixture over the rolls in the baking dish, making sure to coat them evenly.
- Pour the Mountain Dew between the rolls, avoiding pouring it directly over them.
- Bake the dumplings in the oven for 35-45 minutes or until they become golden brown and the apples are tender.
- Remove from the oven and serve the Mountain Dew Apple Dumplings immediately.
- Optionally, you can serve them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for deliciousness.
- Enjoy your homemade Mountain Dew Apple Dumplings!
- Use tart apples like Granny Smith for a perfect balance of sweetness and tanginess in the dumplings.
- To achieve a similar flavor profile, you can try substituting it with other citrus-flavored or lemon-lime sodas, such as Sprite or 7UP.
- Be careful when pouring the Mountain Dew over the dumplings to avoid soaking them completely.
- Serve the Mountain Dew Apple Dumplings warm for the best taste and texture.
- These dumplings can be enjoyed independently or served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra indulgent treat.
- Calories: Approximately 300-350 calories
- Total Fat: 14-18 grams
- Saturated Fat: 8-10 grams
- Cholesterol: 30-40 milligrams
- Sodium: 300-400 milligrams
- Carbohydrates: 40-50 grams
- Fiber: 1-3 grams
- Sugar: 25-30 grams
- Protein: 2-4 grams