Bisquick chicken fingers are a popular and convenient dish made with boneless, skinless chicken breast strips coated in a seasoned mixture of Bisquick mix, Parmesan cheese, and spices. They have a crispy texture on the outside and tender, juicy chicken on the inside.
These chicken fingers are loved for their simplicity, delicious flavor, and versatility, making them perfect for meals, appetizers, or snacks. With their widespread appeal, Bisquick chicken fingers have become a go-to option for quick and satisfying homemade chicken.
Ingredients of Bisquick Chicken Fingers
These ingredients work harmoniously to create delicious Bisquick chicken fingers with a crispy coating, tender chicken, and a delightful blend of flavors.
Original Bisquick® Mix
The Bisquick mix is a versatile mix containing flour, baking powder, salt, and shortening. It provides the base for the crispy coating of the chicken fingers. The blend of ingredients in the Bisquick mix ensures a light and fluffy texture when baked. It offers convenience and saves time compared to making the coating from scratch.
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Parmesan cheese adds a nutty and salty flavor to the chicken fingers. The grated texture allows it to blend well with the Bisquick mix, creating a flavorful coating. Parmesan cheese also contributes to the crispy texture, as it helps create a golden-brown crust when baked.
Salt Or Garlic Salt
Salt is a common seasoning that enhances the overall taste of the dish. It helps to balance flavors and bring out the natural flavors of the chicken. Alternatively, you can use garlic salt for a subtle flavor, which complements the other ingredients and adds a savory touch.
Paprika is a ground spice made from dried and ground red bell or chili peppers. It adds a mild, sweet, smoky flavor to the chicken fingers. Paprika also imparts a vibrant red color to the coating, making the chicken fingers visually appealing.
Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast Halves
Chicken breast is a lean and tender cut of meat, perfect for chicken fingers. It provides a mild, versatile flavor that pairs well with the seasoned coating. Cutting the chicken breast into strips ensures even cooking and easy-to-handle portions.
Egg (Slightly Beaten)
The beaten egg acts as a binding agent in the recipe. It helps the Bisquick mixture adhere to the chicken strips, creating a crispy and flavorful coating. The egg also contributes to a moist and tender texture in the chicken.
Butter or Margarine
Melted butter adds richness and a buttery flavor to the chicken fingers. It also helps in achieving a golden and crispy exterior during baking. The melted butter is drizzled over the chicken strips, enhancing the overall taste and texture of the dish.
How to Cut Perfect Chicken Fingers?
To cut perfect chicken fingers, start by using boneless, skinless chicken breasts and ensuring they are fully thawed. Cut the chicken breasts into uniform 1/2-inch wide strips lengthwise against the grain, using a sharp knife. This will result in chicken fingers that cook evenly and have a consistent size and texture.
Tips to Make the Best Bisquick Chicken Fingers
- Ensure the chicken strips are evenly coated by shaking them in the Bisquick mixture in a Ziploc bag to achieve a crispy and uniform crust.
- Use freshly grated Parmesan cheese for maximum flavor and better adherence to the chicken strips.
- Preheat the oven adequately and maintain the recommended temperature to ensure proper browning and crispiness.
- For extra flavor, add spices or herbs to the Bisquick mixture, such as garlic powder, onion powder, or dried herbs like thyme or oregano.
- Flip the chicken strips halfway through the baking time using a spatula or pancake turner for even cooking and browning.
- Serve the Bisquick chicken fingers immediately to retain their crispiness, as they tend to lose their crunch when stored for too long.
Different Ways to Make Bisquick Chicken Fingers
Bisquick chicken fingers can be made using various methods, such as baking in the oven, air frying, or deep frying. The oven method offers a healthier option with crispy results, while the air fryer method reduces oil usage. Deep frying produces a more indulgent and crispy texture. Choose the method that suits your preferences and dietary needs.
Which is The Best Way to Make Bisquick Chicken Fingers?
The oven-baking method is often considered the best way to make Bisquick chicken fingers as it yields crispy and flavorful results while being a healthier option than deep frying. Baking allows the chicken fingers to cook evenly and achieve a golden brown crust while retaining their tenderness on the inside.
Can You Substitute Bisquick Mix in this Recipe?
You can substitute Bisquick mix in this recipe with a homemade alternative. To replace Bisquick mix, combine 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder, ½ teaspoon of salt, and 2 tablespoons of melted butter or shortening.
Mix these ingredients until well combined, and use this homemade mixture as a substitute for the Bisquick mix in the recipe. The result should be a similar coating for the chicken fingers, though the taste and texture may vary slightly.
What to Serve With Chicken Fingers?
Chicken fingers are versatile and can be paired with delicious sides and dipping sauces. Some popular options include serving them with French fries or sweet potato fries for a classic combination.
Don’t forget to offer an array of dipping sauces such as ketchup, barbecue sauce, honey mustard, or ranch dressing to enhance the flavor and customize each bite.
Feel free to experiment and get creative with other variations by incorporating different spices, seasonings, or coatings to suit your taste preferences and add your twist to this classic recipe.
Add heat to your chicken fingers by incorporating cayenne pepper or chili powder into the Bisquick mixture. This variation will give your chicken fingers a delightful spicy kick that pairs well with a cool, creamy dipping sauce.
For cheese lovers, mix shredded cheddar or your favorite cheese into the Bisquick coating mixture. The melted cheese will create a gooey and flavorful crust, taking your chicken fingers to a new level of cheesy goodness.
Infuse your chicken fingers with aromatic herbs by adding dried herbs like rosemary, thyme, or Italian seasoning to the Bisquick mixture. The herbs will impart a delightful fragrance and elevate the overall flavor profile of your chicken fingers.
Substitute some or all of the Bisquick mix with panko breadcrumbs for an extra crispy coating. The panko breadcrumbs provide a lighter and crunchier texture, giving your chicken fingers an irresistible crispy exterior.
How To Store Bisquick Chicken Fingers?
- Refrigerate: Allow the cooked Bisquick chicken fingers to cool completely, then store them in an airtight container or resealable bag in the refrigerator.
- Proper Packaging: Ensure the chicken fingers are tightly sealed to prevent them from drying out and absorbing unwanted odors from the fridge.
- Label and Date: It’s helpful to label the container with the date to keep track of freshness. Consume within 3-4 days.
- Reheating: To maintain the crispy texture, reheat the chicken fingers in a preheated oven at 350°F for 10-12 minutes or until warmed.
- Freezing: If you want to freeze the chicken fingers, place them in a single layer on a baking sheet in the freezer until firm, then transfer them to a freezer-safe bag or container.
- Thawing and Reheating: Thaw frozen chicken fingers in the refrigerator overnight, then reheat in the oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
Bisquick Chicken Fingers Recipe
- Cookie Sheet
- Aluminum Foil
- Cooking spray
- 1-Gallon Ziploc Bag
- Mixing Bowl (Optional)
- Whisk or fork
- Pancake Turner Or Spatula
- Serving Platter
- 2/3 cup Original Bisquick® mix
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or garlic salt
- 1/2 teapoon paprika
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (cut into 1/2-inch strips)
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp butter or margarine (melted)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray it with cooking spray.
- In a 1-gallon Ziploc bag, combine the Bisquick mix, grated Parmesan cheese, salt or garlic salt, and paprika. Shake the bag to mix the ingredients.
- Dip each chicken strip into the beaten egg, then place it into the Ziploc bag with the Bisquick mixture. Seal the bag and shake it to coat the chicken strip evenly. Repeat with the remaining chicken strips.
- Transfer the coated chicken strips onto the prepared cookie sheet. Drizzle the melted butter over the chicken strips.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until the chicken fingers are golden brown and no longer pink in the center. Flip the chicken strips over with a pancake turner at the 6-minute for even cooking.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken fingers from the oven and transfer them to a serving platter.
- Serve the Bisquick chicken fingers as a snack, appetizer, or main course. Pair them with your favorite dipping sauces, ranch dressing, barbecue sauce, or honey mustard.
- These Bisquick chicken fingers can also be cooked in an air fryer for a healthier alternative to baking.
- Cut the chicken breast into uniform strips to ensure even cooking.
- Feel free to adjust the seasonings according to your preference, adding more or less salt, garlic, or paprika.
- Add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the Bisquick mixture for an extra flavor kick.
- You can double-coat the chicken fingers by repeating the dipping and coating process to make the chicken fingers extra crispy.
- Serve these chicken fingers with homemade honey mustard sauce for a tasty dipping option.
- Serve the chicken fingers immediately for maximum crispiness, as they tend to lose their crispness when stored too long.
Nutritional FactsServing Size: 1 serving (based on 4 servings)
- Calories: 380
- Total Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 145mg
- Sodium: 880mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 17g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 2g
- Protein: 32g